Sunday, March 27, 2005

Ahhh, Emmylou

So, in the Way-Too-Cool category, my famous Internet discussion board friend James Pennebaker, the multi-instrumentalist for the gonzo country band Big and Rich, just got done doing a session for Danny Flowers' (the dude that wrote the Don Williams hit "Tulsa Time") upcoming record with the legendary Emmylou Harris.

James is producing the record for Flowers, as a follow-up to their previous collaboration, Flowers' "Forbidden Fruits and Vegetables," which got rave reviews.

Anyhow, Flowers drove Emmylou out to James' house for a visit -- which, as you can imagine, is quite the "Oh My Gosh!" event... Apparently, Emmylou likes to bring her dog with her here and there and she brought the pooch with her to JP's.

During the visit, the dog took some liberties with the Pennebaker carpeting by taking a whiz or two...

Of course, the ever gracious JP just shrugged it off, for a little dog tinkle never hurt anyone...

I figured there was a country song in an experience like that, so I quickly penned this for James:

Pissing on the Carpet
By D. Rey 3/24/05

Directions from town
Slowed you way down
as my friend missed that left turn

And you didn't complain
About my dusty ole lane
I guess grace is something you earn

Emmylou
Emmylou
Quite pleased to meet you
But your dog is pissing on the carpet

We went on upstairs
You never put on any airs
As we wandered into the music room

Among the Idaho steels
And the analog reels
We snapped a shot to bring on the swoon

Emmylou
Emmylou
Doing that magic you do
But your dog is pissing on the carpet

Emmylou
Emmylou
Now I'm still feeling blue
Even after your dog pissed on my carpet

*****
I suspect JP and Flowers, w/ the help of Emmylou and, rumour has it, Buddy Miller, will deliver another fine record...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home