Monday, April 25, 2005

Wilder is better

Took a couple hours out of my Sunday afternoon to watch Billy Wilder's masterful Sunset Blvd. for the first time. It was spectacular.

I like several of Wilder's better known films, but this is clearly his best effort. On countless occasions throughout the film, I found myself unsuspectingly laughing at humor so subtle that I wasn't sure if it was intended.

I know that most movie critics consider Sunset Blvd. to be film noir, but I think it actually has more akin to his film, The Apartment -- albeit Jack Lemmon is trolling for laughs in that film, where William Holden relies more upon the absurdity of the situation to deliver the yuks.

I've seen it called satire and I think that may nail it.

And I have to say, Erich Von Stroheim ("The man you love to hate") is mega-eccentric as the film director turned husband turned servant -- who dreamed up that career path? Classic stuff.

Gloria Swanson turns in what has to be considered as simple one of the best leading actress performances, EVER.

I think this film is ripe for a quality remake, maybe with a modern twist -- I think maybe Robert Altman could do it justice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Wasn't that already remade with Kevin Spacey narrating as the dead guy? No but seriously, haven't you seen National Treasure? Turns out the Founding Fathers have a secret message in Sunset Blvd, too! But seriously, of course it's a kickass movie and shame on you for watching Dark City multiple times before you ever saw Sunset once! I'm all for Agent Jack Bauer, but come on, even with him as a mad scientist, that movie kind of blows.

But then again, why should anyone trust your judgement D. Rey when you don't even list the best rock act of the last twenty years as one of your musical interests? I know you, sir, and I happen to know you love U2. Damn it, man, just admit it.

That is all.

4:22 PM  
Blogger D.Rey said...

Let me tell ya somethin'

I've had enough of coffee magazine editors comin' up to me, talkin' about the resistance, the "revolution" back home. And the glory of blogging for the revolution -- fuck the revolution. They don't talk about the glory of moving to Portland for the revolution. Where is the glory...in taking a poor blogger from his bed and running him down in front of his wife and children? Where is the glory in that? To leave him cryin', or shamed for life...or dead...under the rubble...of the revolution...that the majority of the people in Cheney don't want...

Oh yeah, it's not my fault that the stupid blogger filter won't display U2 in the profile listing -- it's there on mine and has been from day 1. You can apologize now you vegetarian commie...

Also, I'm gonna come down there to visit sometime this spring -- just trying to find and excuse...

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home