Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Reyes DeLeon

I'll admit that I was a bit curious as to what the make up of a Kings of Leon concert crowd in Spokane would look like -- actually, I was curious as to whether there would even BE a Kings of Leon concert crowd in dynamic ol' Spokane...

Well, people did show up -- and they looked fairly close to what you'd see at a Chiefs hockey match -- with a few stringy-haired distant-eyed folks mixed in (which is how I expect the target demographic for the KOL's first record actually typically appears.)

I may not be in the KOL target demographic, but I do like their tunes -- have ever since I accidently stumbled across them a bit over a year ago in a Napster "recommended" link.

Just to get the review of the show out of the way...

It was damn good -- though they gypped us out of the obligatory encore, which I hadn't seen a band do since the early 90s when a pissed-off Billy Corgan cut short a Smashing Pumpkins set after about six songs, nearly starting a riot...

The show was so strong though, that I think KOL got away with it -- though I'll surely hold it against them enough to figure out a way to not have to buy their new record, while still getting all the songs for my personal use...

One thing that I really noticed about their live show vs. the "Youth and Young Manhood" record that was engineered by Ethan Johns -- the record totally underutilizes their strong rhythm section.

Nathan and Jared Followill know how to ride a groove and it was very evident during the live show -- it's not so much on the Y&YM record. Plus, Jared plays that way badass Thunderbird bass...

Encore or not, it was worth the 17 bucks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home